My DIY Snow Shoes

My DIY Snow Shoes

In 1990, before my first ever winter hiking adventure I decided that I would need a few items I typically didn’t bring with me during summer camping trips. Snow Shoes and a sled for my pack. This is another one of those projects that I completed so long ago that I don’t have any progress photos. I constructed the frame out of T6061 Alum tubing.  I had bent the nose and back curves using an anvil and a hammer.   These pieces are solid Alum round rod.  To connect these I used Alum tubing that slip fit over the round rod.  Pieces are just riveted together in case I needed to re-work the design.  The next steps are pretty self explanatory.  The pink part was constructed using a roll-up child sled cut to fit.  I punched a series of holes around the...

Read More

1957 HiLiner Runabout

1957 HiLiner Runabout

In 1986-1987 I took on a restoration project which pretty much ended being a ground up restoration.  I wish I had more photos of this project to show but for now I just have the final project. I purchased this boat from a friend in High School.  It was given to him by one of his extended family members I believe.  I’m not sure which but he had no desire to restore it and ended up selling it to me for $100.  Believe me, it was worth about that much considering the condition of it at the time.  The boat had apparently been sitting outside for a very long time and all finish had been worn off, all hardware was completely destroyed and parts of the structure needed a complete rebuild. After dragging it on a half working boat trailer to my parents shop with my...

Read More