My DIY Snow Shoes

My DIY Snow Shoes

In 1990, before my first ever winter hiking adventure I decided that I would need a few items I typically didn’t bring with me during summer camping trips. Snow Shoes and a sled for my pack. This is another one of those projects that I completed so long ago that I don’t have any progress photos. I constructed the frame out of T6061 Alum tubing.  I had bent the nose and back curves using an anvil and a hammer.

 

These pieces are solid Alum round rod.  To connect these I used Alum tubing that slip fit over the round rod.  Pieces are just riveted together in case I needed to re-work the design.  The next steps are pretty self explanatory.  The pink part was constructed using a roll-up child sled

cut to fit.  I punched a series of holes around the perimeter and laced nylon rope purchased at my local camping store.  The bindings are purchased snow shoe bindings and I pivoting bracket is stainless round rod and the grips are alum.  I would recommend getting these and all other partsanodized as well ascoated so cold snow doesn’t stick to the alum as much.  Lesson learned.  These snow shoes were modeled after another pair I liked in the store but could not afford at the time.  I was about to find replacement parts for some of my DIY shoes to speed in the completion of the shoes.